Thursday, June 10, 2010

Isaiah 1- my thoughts...

Today I started on the book of Isaiah, and I'm really excited about it. Really. I just finished reading the first chapter, and it was really convicting.

Is it not mind-boggling how oblivious we can be to our own sin? Even when it's doing nothing but harming us.

"Why should you be beaten anymre? Why do you persist in rebellion? Your whole head is injured, your whole heart afflicted. From the sole of your foot to the top of your head there is no soundness- only wounds and welts and open sores, not cleansed or bandaged or soothed with oil." Isaiah 1:5 (NIV).

It sounds so simple, doesn't it? Your sin is doing nothing but harming you! Oh, if only we could just decide to put an end to our sin. If only we could see things as God sees them. We'd see how messed up our priorities really are. But think about it. If WE were the ones to put sin out of our lives...what would we need God for? It's all about the heart, God makes that clear. It's all about the decision to hand everything over to God, and let him change you from the inside out. All we have to do is ask forgiveness of our sins, and let Him guide us.

At some point, everyone tries to be self-sufficient spiritually. I know I have. But time after time, I find that my spiritual life turns into do's and don'ts, a checklist to check off every day. It's got to be real, and the only way that's possible is to hand EVERY part of us over to God. He'll transform, He's proven himself capable.

"When you spread out your hands in prayer, I will hide my eyes from you; even if you offer many prayers, I will not listen. Your hands are full of blood; wash and make yourselves clean." Isaiah 1:15-16.

We cannot ignore our sin any longer. It's what keeps us from real growth- from a REAL relationship with Christ. Ask forgiveness and be cleaned, and then offer your clean hands up in prayer to the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment