Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Jamaica Journals

July 26th
Well, I'm here. In Jamaica. It's absolutely beautiful here. Today, we are going to talk to people and have a block party. I hope I can start some meaningful converstions with the Jamaican people that end in me praying for them. We've been talking about how to do that in our training sessions. I can't wait to put that to use. I can't explain how pretty everything is here. It's like I'm in a different world. I'm surrounded by hills covered in trees and flowers; the kind you can't find anywhere in Arkansas. I'm feeling lots of hope/anticipation about this week. I want God to majorly move in me while I'm here. Last night during group worship, I really felt him. I want to be completely selfless this week at every moment, not just during mission work.

Dear God, This is a scary prayer to pray, but I really want to. I am ready to do your will, no matter what it is. No matter how uncomfortable, how upsetting, how unexpected. I want to totally and completely surrender my heart, mind, and actions to you. I'm learning that, things fall into place so much better than they would have had I been on my own terms. I'm in this strange country for the sole purpose of serving you. Amen.

July 27th

Yesterday, we walked around Rhodan Hall and Staceyville to tell people about the block party and VBS, which was totally amazing. Seeing where they live...it's so poor, but so colorful and beautiful. Their simple, brightly colored, flat tin-roof homes are surrounded by beautiful hills, tropical trees and flowers...it's total simplicity. Though I know Jamaicans are way less than pleased with their living conditions, part of me longs for that kind of simplicity.

As we spoke to person after person, I was amazed at their consistent friendliness and joy. Yes, I am here to be a living example of Christ's love and joy, but after one day, they have taught me that happiness and love are universal, no language needed. No matter what country, background, living conditions, or race a person claims.

We also went to a concert at the Rhodan Hall Baptist Church, where everyone was singing praise songs, jumping around, dancing, clapping, and just being real. It was amazing. As group after group, person after person, took the stage to lead the congregation, I was inspired to see that, to them, it's not about presentation or performing or appearance in the least bit, their sole purpose was to worship in their joy, whether on stage or not. These Jamaicans are not perfect, but they are inspiring in many ways. Though there are many that desperately need Christ, there are also many that have found Him. They may never know how they affected me, but that doesn't change the fact that they have.

July 28th

Well, yesterday was a great day. We did VBS at the Staceyville church. It was fun, I like the kids a lot, and they like us. The little girls like me, which makes me feel all special and stuff. Haha. We sang songs, made bracelets, played outside, and told Bible stories. I think all of the kids really enjoyed it. I love it here, I love everything about Jamaica. Out of time, bye bye.

July 29th

Yesterday was the best day yet. We did VBS for the beginning part of the day, as usual. It was quite lovely. I was totally in Brookhill counselor mode the entire time. After that, we came back to the high school that we are staying at and hung out for a little while. That was pretty great, I love the people who came on this trip very much. Then, around 7, we came back to the Staceyville Church and had a youth service. Mr. Brymer sang a few songs with everyone, then Tori, Scott, Cooper and I all shared our name, why we love Jamaica, and one thing that God has taught us. I talked about how God has been showing me that he can take anything and turn it into good. I used changing churches and changing schools as an example. It's all so true, I was just speaking my thoughts. After a few little cartoon videos and a short message from Mike, Mike had all the Jamaicans sit down and all of us walk around praying for them as Mr. Brymer played music. It was a really powerful time. There's just something about physically laying hangds on people as we pray that is completely awesome. After prayer, the music continued and we all just worshipped together. It was an amazing night. Totally amazing. I really felt God move.

After worshipping last night, there was a little girl that walked up and hugged me and didn't let go. "Caylie, I don't want you to leave. I will miss you too much," she said. She knew my name, which made me really happy. I said, "I'll miss you so much! But I'll be back next year to see you." Then I asked her if I could pray for her and she said yes. I prayed that she would always remember that Christ loves her very much, and would keep her faith and share it with everyone around her. She just kept hugging me. After a little bit, I asked her what her favorite part of today had been, and she said "Singing, and you praying." Ah. She will remember, and that's all I wanted- to leave an impression, to leave her thinking about Christ. God is so good.

July 30th

Yesterday was our last day in Staceyville, our last official day of ministry. VBS was pretty great- a bunch of my Jamaican girlfriends braided my hair pretty much every second that we werenn't singing or listening to a lesson. It was quite fun, I tel you. I love those kids. The people of Jamaica inspire me. After lunch and a quick break at Kellits, we headed back and split into groups to visit and pray for shut-ins. My group prayed for Sister Mason, and old woman who had four kids, ten grandkids, and one great-granddaughter. She was a large woman, with a mismatched shirt and skirt, a bandana over her head, and a huge smile on her face. Her house was precious, so tiny and colorful. I could tell she had spend many hours in her wooden chair on the porch. I would too, if I lived here.

After we prayed for her, Mr. Joe started asking her questions about her life. She had lots to say. She loved to talk about how Jesus wants us to forgive 70x7 times, and endlessly she mentioned, "I'm telling you children, stand up for Jesus!"

After that, Tim, Carolyn, and I went with Mr. Barnett to put a sculpture in a beautiful cave area down by the river. It was the face of Jesus, made from construction concrete. The river area...oh my. One of the highlights of the trip. Indescribably beautiful.. Agh, out of time. Last night- four hour Staceyville goodbye service. Wow.

I just typed out what was written in my journal. It was an amazing trip. I absolutely cannot wait to go back next year. Cannot wait. I can't get those people out of my mind....wow. I just want to go back. God moved last week, yes He did!
-caylielane.

No comments:

Post a Comment