Saturday, June 26, 2010

Joyful

Well, I'm back from that place called Brookhill, and let me tell you... I may have lost my voice, but I gained so much more.

It was a hard, fast paced, busy week. Lots of sweeping, spraying, wiping, bed-making, camper-herding, and organizing. But it was so, so, insanely worth it.

Why? Why would going to camp as a counselor be BETTER than going as a camper? It's hard to put my finger on it, but I'll try. This week was all about giving for me. I got a chance to meet some truly amazing kids, and to really show them the joy that I've found in Christ. As counselors, all of us made the commitment to be constant examples of true joy. We sang the loudest, danced the craziest, yelled the loudest, and did so without a hint of shame. In the more serious moments, like at the crucifixion drama, or when David spoke about chains keeping them from the freedom Christ gives, we were there to pray over the campers and to encourage them. Lives were changed this week, and I feel so blessed to have been a part of it.

Things about Brookhill 2010 that will forever be remembered:

* The experience of sweating nonstop for a week. NONSTOP.
* The little girl who began the week homesick and miserable, and left able to admit that she had an amazing time.
* Making an insane amount of water balloons. Skipping breakfast to do so...
* The wonderful Christmas-themed dinner. Chicken, green beans, mashed potatoes, and chocolate cake. Oh. Snap.
* The look on thirteen little girls' faces after performing a cheer in front of the entire camp.
* Connecting with an older camper late at night, and praying together.
* Being personally thanked by that same older camper this morning for impacting her life.
* Dancing around like a hyper seven year old, singing at the top of my lungs.
* The fact that I have never said the word "awesome" in my entire life as much as i did this week.
* Watching about 50 little 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders ask Christ into their lives for the very first time.
* Wagon songs. Just....yes.
* Making the Fun Swim swing a game. "When you're in the air, I want you to tell me what your name would be if you were asian."


I'm so thankful for this past week. It's been great. Wonderful, even.

-caylielane.

No comments:

Post a Comment