Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Lost Gift

Again...it's been too long. Yes it has. Working on that whole blog-regularly-in-the-midst-of-many-flavors-of-insanity thing.

My family got back from Fayetteville yesterday. On Friday night, Christian and Dad went to a Razorback game while Mom, Carson, and I ate a gluten-free dinner at Carinos, which was lovely. Then we spent some time in Barnes and Noble. I cannot begin to express my overflow of love for that place. I could spend hour upon hour soaking up everything all of the represented authors have to say. For a dreamer like me...a bookstore is like a candy shop.

Saturday, Mom and I got some girl time. We shopped for a couple of hours and ate at PF Changs. Did you know they have a gluten-free menu there? And gluten-free soy sauce? I was very impressed. After shopping, my whole family saw Ramona and Beezus together, which was unexpectedly precious. You should see it, I highly recommend it. If anyone enjoys being happy (yes, I know. that made no sense.), go watch this movie. Definite feel-good movie. After that, we ended the day with a trip to the park.

After the park, I heard awful news. That night in Little Rock, Mary Sample was painting in a children's room at the church when she fell off the ladder. She had passed away before she even hit the ground.

When I first read the text that she was gone, I literally couldn't believe it. We were riding in the car, and I sat in silence for a minute or two; my heart was pounding, and I was shaking. I've known Mrs. Mary for years and years. She was head of the children's ministry at my old church as well as my current one. She was part of the reason we tried St. Andrews in the first place. I loved her more than I can express. Every time I got a chance to talk to her, I would walk away thinking how wonderful she was. I remember just last Wednesday, when some kids from my youth group went to eat dinner with some younger kids in the nursery, I literally just watched Mrs. Mary for a few minutes. Children adore her. She was so fun and playful, and had a way of making everyone feel so loved. I just watched her, admiring her. She was a gift to everyone who knew her.

I haven't been able to get her off my mind since her death. The past two nights I haven't slept more than an hour or two at once. I'm yet to get out of this haze. I am not an overly emotional girl, but this has really gotten to me. Maybe because it was so unexpected. Maybe because she was so young. Maybe just because she was so wonderful.

Please pray for the Sample family. They don't deserve this. Her children don't deserve to lose their mother, her husband doesn't deserve to lose his wife, and everyone else doesn't deserve to lose a dear friend that let her actions truly speak for themselves. I know this was part of God's plan, and I keep hearing him tell me that He was there. He was there when she died, and He will continue to be here.

-caylielane.

No comments:

Post a Comment